Friday, February 8, 2013

Uphill, in a swamp



As I take a leap into the thick of it, I am slowly realizing I stand waist deep in a quicksand. I know the best way to get out  is to lie flat and try to proceed slowly.

There were mostly optimistic things I have to say, lately. Yesterday I met with Fargo's former Mayor and NDSU Professor Jon Lindgren, and I was delighted to get to know him. Prior to our meeting, I read up on what was going on in the area. This much is needed to be said: Mr. Lindgren is a hero to the peoples of this region.

When I say hero, I do not mean that lightly. Mr. Lindgren has stood up for LGBT/Women's rights while in office in one of the most conservative areas in the country. He has stood for intellectual equality, demanding Fargo remain a place not only for Christians, but for all those from abroad who wish to also call it home, and for those not following their family's customs.

In his time, he has been able to see things from the point of view he does not embrace, and to objectively measure what may be best for the future of the area, for the rights of all. It was an honor to meet him, and I hope to work with him in the future.

No, the reason I mentioned the quicksand is that I now realize just how much tact it will take to bring up the necessary issues around the Fargo/Moorhead area. Even those who proclaim themselves to be secular, and I have to say, about half of all people I have met since I have gotten back do not affiliate themselves with any religion, Even they tend to draw back and step away from the idea of public equality.

Of course I am writing about the debate which has been raging on in the last couple of decades about the Ten Commandments monument in from of City Hall in Fargo. After this weekend, I will write fully on this topic, but for now, I am still gathering as much information as I can.

This much is certain... The mentality in North Dakota is very conservative. Yesterday, the bill designed to outlaw abortion passed. But I mean more generally, such as the way we interact with each other. I was chided for walking through a door holding it open behind me, for in this part of the world, we hold the door open for ladies, then enter!

After a lengthy discussion, I see I still live in the land of cowboy romanticism and honor based morality. Civilization left the concepts of gentlemen and honor behind for equality and court-based justice.

Imagine the way it used to be, when in disagreement  challenging your opponent to a duel for the slightest of  misunderstandings. Alexander Hamilton found out how well this works out. And I have to say, the people have learned to avoid violent altercations, and everyday prejudices, and yet we choose to hold on to the vestiges of the old days.

Why do I oppose these traditions? Because the foundation of modern development is dependent on the empowerment of women. This has come so far in the states, and every further barrier we cross is a huge victory for progress. The problem now is the mentality that comes with coddling women. I find in areas without these gentlemanly initiatives, the people tend to view sex equality more realistically. Yet around here, I regularly get comments that 'men and women...are just different'. Well yes, but in what way?

Women just want men to take care of them? Women need protectors? Women are unable to do certain things as well? These are the honest opinions I have heard as a response. Now tell me there is not much work to do.....

One thing is for sure, I realize the uphill battle will receive resistance, mostly from behind. Those who should be on the side of progress, tend to shy away or even kick back. One day at a time, so let's get me a job first, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment