Saturday, November 16, 2013

The World We Live In


In Darwin's Pharmacy, Richard M. Doyle speak of the nature of dreams, of how dreams, aspirations, and hopes shape reality. If the role of human imagination is to conceive of all these delightful ideas, and grip fervently onto them in hopes they become reality, then I feel my dreams for the future of society are justified if I can simply convince another human being that it would be beneficial to enact them.

 I dream of a world where we can live side by side in a skeptical society which desires to better itself via critical thinking, corrections, and the humility of doubt.  In each of these is a recipe for the improvement of the world, but together they would offer a civilization capable of forward thinking and eventually transcendence of our Pale Blue Dot.

When I am corrected in my language, I swallow my pride and say 'Thank You'. When I am informed of my errors, I adjust accordingly and apologize. When my deeds have been shown to be harmful, I subject myself to penance.

So why am I treated with such hostility when I would like to hold my friends, my relatives, or my colleagues to these standards? Is there a legitimate reason why these standards are not good enough for the world around me? Perhaps am I merely striking a chord with society's personal bubble and probing into otherwise untouched insecurities?

I would like to hear from the readers: Have I placed an unfair expectation on the rest of society? Why should we not expect our fellow humans to indulge in self-improvement? Why should we not nudge people to embrace themselves and tackle their fears?

How many times have people been enabled in their insecurities, fears, and weaknesses because we were afraid to offend? As a community we must offer support, friendship, and compassion, but not enable the worst parts of people. We must embrace idiosyncrasies,  yet drive out biggotry and intolerance.

Above all, the objective verification of evidence and the avoidance of subjective truth is integral for this system as it creates a sense of humility in the experience of the individual and simultaneously builds empathy and reason.

That is the world I want to live in. Who is with me?






No comments:

Post a Comment