Saturday, November 16, 2013

New Optimism



A new wave of optimism has struck the Fargo area, an area marred by corporate interests, national religious lobby groups, and a drastic misrepresentation of the masses.

Since my previous posts, the last being in May, the Secular Community has thrived, providing an opportunity for a taboo-free discussion and a weekly venting for so many like myself who are discouraged from expressing critical thinking during the course of the average day.

The last half year has been eventful, with awareness campaigns in the streets, helping to bring together student organizations, secular movie showings, and group efforts in engaging the local scientific and religious communities.

Last month, The Interfaith network, hosted by David Myers, had a panel discussion with four atheists of diverse background on Concordia Campus, including Trevor Nelson, and Jeffrey Eide from the F-M Secular Community. We were received very well by a public hungry for dialog on a topic they are told not to discuss.

Lastly, let me shout out a boisterous congratulations to the entire group who helped to put together and plan the Great Plains Atheists, although I am not sure if they want to be named just yet. In the coming articles and entries, I intend to lay out our greater plans and explain why I am inspired by the efforts of my friends and partners.

It is good to be back on the blogosphere, so by all means, please browse my previous entries, many of them from the last of my travel days, and comment as much as possible. I hope this can become a source of dialog for the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment