Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hitchslaping from the Grave



Christopher Hitchens, a legendary journalist, raconteur  author, and contrarian, passed away in December of 2011, much to the dismay of many around the world. One of the loudest and most potent voices in New Atheism, Hitchens had an ability to put into words what most have not yet thought of. Personally, he was my favorite author, and a great motivation to read and write more.

Although he had made many enemies in his life-long career, only the petty tried attacking him, for the pen is truly mightier than the sword here. Therefor it surprises me to see someone has put out a new book, Unhitched: the trial of Christopher Hitchens, not only after his death, but with such vitriol, the author, a Richard Seymour, has stepped in it, and now reviews are coming from everywhere to point out his inaccuracies. The Daily Beast has a beautiful run down, as well as Spectator. I will leave my own conclusion until I read it myself.

What I find most compelling about this type of post mortem assassination is the irony of it. Christopher has always said:

"My Critics increasingly use the ad hominem in reply to me, and I regard that as a small moral victory."
There were the occasional topics which he brought up tastefully with a sense of honor which I may disagree with him on, but you need to get into each discussion as it comes, not slander the man with original thoughts.
You see, Mr. Seymour, now you brought up Hitchens again, his words will come back as well, and be shared to another round of people who have never heard them.

Please enjoy the YouTube clips
- The Best of Hitchslap - Part 1
- The Best of Hitchslap - Part 2
- Christopher Hitchens Debates Tony Blair
- Hitchens Submits to be Waterboarded
- Hitchslap Playlist





No comments:

Post a Comment