Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Siddha



Ten years ago, before my travels, I met a younger guy than myself, braving the world as an exchange student in Minnesota. Vipul Shaha greeted me with a smile in what would become a friendship of thoughts and words. Despite knowing Vipul for such a short time, we kept in contact over the years and finally finding the time to visit his home of Pune, India, I find that he has, for the time being, been living back in Minnesota again. Ironic how the timing worked out so badly, yet I was still invited to his family’s home, and to spend time with his wonderfully hospitable brother, Anuj. 

A man of great accomplishments already, Vipul has just graduated from Harvard University, and plans to make great improvements to India, starting with the education. When I met him years ago, I was myself confused about what to believe, so disillusioned with Christianity and ‘western faiths.’

It was at that time I first heard of Jainism and the meditation technique of Vipassana. Recalling that time, I had very little memory of what was said, but the names stuck out to me. Now a decade later and so little experience in the world with Jains, I had the great pleasure to sit down with a very intelligent and respected business man in central India, Vipul’s father. 

And despite the historical associations with idols, Buddhism, and Hinduistic worship, I found his Secular Jainism to be remarkable. Let it be said, I can find not a single objection to Secular Jainism as a belief system. Surely the way it is practiced explains why there are so many Jains in the world, yet is begs to ask the question, why has Jainism not been in the spotlight as an example of what religions should emulate? 
The primary tenant of Jainism is a path of non-violence towards all living beings. Other principles follow teachings of other religions, in some ways very similar to Buddhism, such as in Celibacy and non-possession, in other ways, Hindu in idol worship, although it is not obligatory. It also seems Jains have achieved the reputation of wealthy businessmen and leaders in society. 

 It would seem on the surface that the teachings of Jainism are compatible with modern education and learning, but I still have a tickle in the back of my mind. It comes from the subjective reality given by introspections. I still think we need to tackle the big questions in life with doubt and curiosity; however that said, if I had to imagine Jainism as a majority religion, I can’t imagine it encroaching on our schools or government. 

With an open mind, I would like to entertain a week at a vipassana ashram, to get a sense of their mentalities.  I send a huge thanks and my gratitude to the entire Shaha Familiy.


1 comment:

  1. So you met a Jainism in India. Im suggesting you to meet Brahma Kumaris and Ananda Margiis and share us about your experience when you meet one. I never thought they have what they called secular type of Jainism.It's interesting to know that.
    Non-violence towards all living beings including the root crops. Isn't it right?
    Jainism has a lot similar from that of Ananda marga where they also have to practice the Yama :Brahmacarya (celibacy), satya (truth), ahimsa (non violence), asteya (not to take possesion of others)and aparigraha (no attachments to the comfort of life)and Niyama ( deeper understanding of their practice)in fact almost all the religious belief in India have a lot of similarities from one to the others.
    They just have one or two differences that you can find. All of these are still related to the practice and belief of something.Most of them consider their founder to be the great one, mostly ends up worshiping him AND gives a lot of reasons why they do that AND they will never admit that they consider him as their God.
    I would still say that when you start to be brainwashed by one of them, it will still ends up believing that something big over us who knows our minds and actions which is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete