Saturday, October 20, 2012

Standing Outside Oneself


I have come into a certain dilemma in India. When in other countries, giving constructive criticism, offering suggestions for improvement, insisting on progress is always a nice thing, because most people are perhaps not as straightforward or bluntly honest as I. In fact, if politely spoken and well-worded, these things can be taken rather well.

India, on the other hand, demands I either turn down my critical thinking or turn it off completely. It would mean I never stop correcting. I have written before about how my experiences in Northern India have entirely burnt me out, I am fried, exhausted, left a hallow empty shell of a man with a short fuse. Sometimes. Most times I have to stop, look around me and try to see everything from outside.

Discretion is vital when deciding what to discuss, with whom, of course, and since I have met so few who believe that change is even possible, and even fewer who may be coerced into believing change starts with each individual, I have to look at India as a whole and try as much as possible to formulate what I have learned from this country.

Number one, Indians are rather clever people, the average man you may speak to in the street can grasp ideas of philosophy and politics more than most Asian countries.

Number two, Indians also understand our behaviors are dictated by how society, be it family, community, country, or world, reacts to specific actions or inaction.

Number three, while the country is working out it's education, tradition, and religion problems, the rest of the world has got to get it's act together in regards to Human Rights, and where we stand on science. The world came together to agree on what Human Rights are. Naturally we disagree on how to implement these rights, specifically when it comes to contradicting religion and traditions. We need developed countries to step up to the plate, specifically the United States, in standing behind the freedoms of speech and expression, not only within their own borders, but using political influence to let others know that possessing nuclear weapons is not the only crime which requires sanctions.

Number four, India's constitution protects the citizens' rights very well, but either due to apathy or ignorance, so many are denied access to these rights. When Edamaruku was threatened to be arrested, there should be more than just online petitions defending him. Come on, people, stop the relativism.

Number five, if I had been here on anything more than a vacation, I sincerely believe I could organize community gathering to form a concerted effort for reform, via Indian voices. Those who can stand living in India, come and show them leadership, please.

I will be in Nepal next week, something I am very excited about. More on that later






No comments:

Post a Comment